Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pork Calzones

I am all about fast, easy, tasty recipes. I basically work two jobs, go to school, and have a household to run and my kids' extra curriculars to deal with...needless to say, I'm just a little busy. So, when mealtime comes around it has to be fast, easy but definitely tasty. It also needs to be pork related because that is all we have in our freezer--not that I'm complaining, pork is very versatile. 

If you love pizza but get sick of the same old thing, why not try a calzone instead. All you need is:
  1. A pound or two of ground pork or pork sausage and pepperoni
  2. Your favorite Italian seasonings--I use an Italian seasoning mix with a little salt, pepper, onion, and garlic
  3. Two cans of premade pizza dough, thin crust--I found mine next to the cans of biscuits
  4. One jar of pizza sauce
  5. A package of shredded mozzarella cheese
  6. Your favorite veggie toppings--I like black olives, green peppers, and red onions

Form you pork and seasoning mix into little bitty meat balls and roll them around in a hot skillet until cooked through.

After you have your little sausage balls cooked to perfection, spread one thin crust out on to a jelly roll pan and bake for a few minutes--until no longer doughy.
Then, spread your sauce over the dough.


 Sprinkle on a little cheese...


A little meat...


Have the kiddos jump in and help. My daughter rolled the other thin crust over the top of our pepperoni and sausage combo.

Then, my son mushed the edges of the dough with my new Pampered Chef wooden mushy thing but you can mush your calzone with whatever you have handy--fingers work nicely.

Bake at 350 degrees for around 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Then...


Mmmm! Pork calzone.


No comments:

Post a Comment