Thursday, April 14, 2011

Prop B: Will Nixon sign and help farmers and breeders?

As many Missourians have read/seen/heard in the news, the legislature passed a measure to weaken, reform, and ultimately improve Prop B which was passed in November. Now, before I get into the meat of this I would like to point out that out of 114 counties plus one independent city in the state of Missouri only 13--I repeat 13--voted "Yes" on what is deceivingly known as the Puppy Mill Cruelty Act.



Now, the big tiff Prop B supporters have (besides the fact that their little bill is being amended) is that the voters pasted the bill by a majority vote and to amend this bill is going against the democratic, majority rules voting etiquette. Okay, so answer me this: If majority rules and the vast majority of the state voted "NO" doesn't that count for anything? According to Prop B supporters it means nothing that all the rural counties, filled with rural people that are the actual stewards of the land, the actual caretakers of animals, the ones truly affected by Prop B have a lesser vote than the city dwellers because after all, the guy living twelve stories up in a loft apartment surrounding by concrete, smog, and a half dozen $800 (a piece) pugs knows more about animal husbandry than any of us poor dumb rural farmers, ranchers, and breeders...Right? Guess again Chauncey, we've got this. If majority really ruled, Prop B would have never passed. You can find several sites explaining Prop B plus my recap of Prop B by clicking HERE.

As I was saying, the Senate passed this measure 20-14, the House passed it 85-71, now it is up to our Governor. If Governor Jay Nixon should put his John Hancock on Bill SB113 it will modify definitions to prevent agriculture from being targeted, it removes the "50 breeding dogs" rule, changes the name to Canine Cruelty Prevention Act, and this bill creates funds for the Department of Agriculture for Operation Bark Alert. I really don't see why the Prop B supporters are fussing. This bill actually makes Prop B better and creates funds to enforce it where the originally proposal creators apparently didn't think that far ahead...Oh, yeah, Prop B was created by HSUS, they never think that far ahead. They just want to get their foot in the door so they can rid America of animal agriculture and force us all to be vegans. Does that make me sound spiteful or bitter? Well, maybe I am...but just a little.

I've heard so many comments concerning Prop B and I am blown away by the stereotypes people still hold against rural people. I've been called a hick, country bumpkin, animal abuser, inbred hillbilly, accused of bestiality in less sophisticated terminology, and the list goes on but every one of these comments came from urban people that have never met me. How do I know they were urban dwellers? I googled them, of course. I also read their profiles or visited their blogs when listed. It's amazing the misconceptions out there and that people still think we are a bunch of backwoods hicks with straw hats, no teeth, and we have inappropriate relations with our siblings. I don't know about all you farmers and ranchers but that's not where I come from. I happen to have all my teeth...Oh, and I've never had inappropriate relations with any of my siblings. I though I should add that last bit for clarification.

My point is that the backwoods, mule and buggy, poor ignorant farmer stigma is alive and well and we should do something about it. I am guilty too, I won't lie, I tend to think all city folks are crazy, immoral, backward thinking, selfish jerks that live in a realm all their own and have no concept of reality especially when it comes to something other than their own vanity or materialism. The difference is...I'm right, city folks really are like that.



Wait...hold on to your hate mail...that was a joke. Come on, you chuckled just a little. Seriously, while I do hold certain stereotypes concerning city folks I realize that I must keep an open mind.

The real point is we farmers, ranchers, and breeders need to advocate our lifestyle and livelihood for the 98% of Americans that don't live on a farm, ranch, or rural area. We need to Agvocate and tell our story so more unnecessary bills aren't made and people begin to understand not only where their food, shelter, and clothing come from but what it takes to make all the great things Americans take for grated.

Let's just hope that Governor Nixon does right by us poor simpletons and signs that bill. If you would like to contact Governor Nixon just click on this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment