Monday, May 23, 2011

Confessions of a Gardener

I have a confession to make......I have never gardened. I know what you are thinking, what kind of farmers wife doesn't have a garden!? Don't judge me! I decided this year that was all going to change; not only do we now have a garden, I will also try my hand at canning and freezing veggies for the winter.
I know, I know, it is a lot to take on for someone who has never done this before but I am determined to succeed......failure is not an option.

Therefore, the past two weeks have been devoted to the garden. Last Wednesday my husband and I came home from work and jumped into the garden until the job was done.

I gathered my gloves, seeds, gravel rake (to loosen the dirt), the trowel, and we went to work.

We have it all! Broccoli, squash, Cauliflower, Corn, Beans (bush not pole), pumpkins, okra, cucumber, carrots, radishes, and an assortment of flowers for the edges to make it pretty.

Of course, I had to buy new gardening gloves just for this occasion. I can't have dirt getting under my nails! Yuck.

Another addition to the garden area is my new humming bird feeder.

It's so pretty. I think I'll get one for each corner.

Now, over the weekend we planted tomato and sweet pepper plants.

I don't have anything fancy to keep the birds from snapping off my little plants so we got creative. I ransacked the kitchen searching for enough containers for all the plants. It came down to a milk jug, coffee containers, a Gatorade jug, and a couple of juice jugs that I just happened to have sitting next to the trash awaiting the dumpster. It ain't pretty but it'll do.

Let me tell you, this section of the yard was just that......yard. So, there was a whole lot of sod to fight through, weeds to weed out, and even rocks to chuck out of the garden. It was a mess! And, guess who had the job of picking, raking, and shoveling through all that mess......me. Aaron was there helping, just not with that part, he planted seeds after I raked up the dirt. Oh well, I asked for it. The garden was my idea after all.

After planting my tomato and pepper plants I inspected the garden and look what I found......Our first sprout!!!! I was so excited that I just had to photograph this momentous occasion.
With the garden planted, the seeds sprouting, and the day ending I just had to sit back and enjoy the view while patting myself on the back for a job well done. Hopefully something grows in my first attempt at a garden. I couldn't have asked for a better sunset then this spectacular view to close out a day of hard work. I'll keep you posted and together we will share in the joy (or heartache, only time will tell) of gardening.

How's your garden going?

No comments:

Post a Comment