Monday, May 30, 2011

Confessions of a Gardener

I have another confession to make and this one is worse than the first. In a previous post I confessed that I had never gardened before........well, this is hard for me to admit........I also showed you this picture of my first sprout:
I was so exited about something growing in my garden that when I found this little guy in one of my trenches I shot the picture and jumped for joy but........

Well, I was wrong. That was a weed that I got so excited about, a weed that made me jump for joy, a stupid weed! Yes, I really know what corn looks like, I see the crap all the time; it's just that I sometimes get a little over zealous and don't think things through all the way. So, here's is the little guy just before I ripped him out of the ground and threw him so far from my garden that I'll bet he regretted ever setting root in my garden. Once again I'll ask you not to judge me. I'm a better farmer than this........really! You have to believe me!

There is some good news here though:


The whole garden is up and growing.

Now for some gardener trivia: Can you identify these little sprouts?
(because we've established that I stink at such tasks)

1.
This one is a common garden dweller and I prefer cooking it on the grill with potatoes.

2.
Bonus points for getting this one right. I love this stuff fried.

3.
This bushy beauty is one of Aaron's favorites. It may be small but what it lacks in size it makes up for in taste.
 4.
This is not a food but it's really pretty and lots of gardeners plant them.
Here's a hint: This plant was discovered in 1796 and considered nothing more than a weed.
They also come in a wide range of colors except blue.

5.
Waylon just loves this veggie--raw better than cooked but he'll take it any which way you serve it.

6.
This one is Kylee's plant and she plans to sell them to help fund her DC trip she is taking with one of her teachers and a few fellow students. 

7.
You had better get this one right!

8.
This grassy goodness is another favorite in our house.

9.
This one should be an easy one and one that I am really looking forward to.

10.
I'll give you a hint: It's not coffee.


   Now for the really exciting part!
Answer all ten questions in the comments section (right or wrong) and you will be entered to win The Vegetable Gardener's Bible and a pretty little hummingbird feeder for your own veggie garden.

Rules: Must answer all ten with a reasonable guess, anyone who gets all ten correct gets a bonus entry. You can also gain one bonus entry by becoming a new follower of this blog (if you already follow this blog then I will give you a bonus entry out of appreciation because I love ya lots!). No entries past noon central standard time Friday June 3--please and thank you.

Winners will be randomly selected and announced Saturday June 4.

Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous of the fact that you have a garden! Oh, and bacon makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete